torstai 25. kesäkuuta 2015

Living in Lund: Delphi

N.B: This entry is a part of a series of student accommodation reviews directed at new students looking for apartments in Lund. Lund(on) Times is not affiliated with AF Bostäder, LU Accommodation or any other apartment rental service. More visual material may be added in the future. Click on the photos to enlarge them.


Pros
Cons
+ Close to northern campus, larger supermarkets, good transportation connections
- Far from town, nations (location on map)
+ Spaces open up quickly
- Crowded, corridors up to 20 people
+ Own bathroom & shower, social space, large green areas outside
- Shared kitchen
+ Affordable (~3,400 SEK per month)
- Might be noisy, overwhelming
Click here for AFB's information on Delphi

Delphi is the second largest student accommodation area in the town. It is essentially a small park surrounded by several buildings, amounting to over 1000 available rooms for hire. People on all levels of their studies live here. The general commotion and action reflect this perfectly. For this reason, we will be discussing Delphi with two former residents.

Mieke moved into Delphi two years ago at the beginning of her studies. She has now graduated and values her corridor as an integral part of her time in Lund.

"I just took the first room I got. The Delphi rooms were high up in my queue and I checked that Delphi is really close to the economics buildings, so I figured this would be fine," Mieke explains her decision. The benefits of the place opened up to her over the first few weeks of living there.

Figure 32. The corner of Mieke's 19m² (not including bathroom) bedroom

“We have a gym, and a pizza place, and the cheap supermarkets close by. Everything is within 100m. The buses come here really well, one line goes directly into town. It’s a bit harder if you are in town but if you're doing economics, are in the engineering school or studying medicine you are pretty well off," Mieke lists the most obvious benefits of the area.

Stefania moved in for six months last semester, when a place opened up for a short term sublet.



“I wanted a corridor room, because it is high quality, and i have my own bathroom with shower. Just sharing the kitchen is fine," she elaborates on her criteria. She has particularly enjoyed the party atmosphere.

Figure 33. These windows catch the evening sun. Like their balcony.

“Parties are close. There is something every week. Since its such a big corridor, I've met so many people outside the corridor too. So far I've always lived in a shared apartment, this is the first time since moving out of my parents place when I've had this kind of experience.”

Delphi is one of the most notorious party places in all of Lund. Due to the sheer amount of people living there, odds are that there is a party on every night of every week. However, Mieke and Stefania have no complaints about noise at all.

“I sleep through all the parties," Mieke says when asked about the noise. "I know one of my corridor mates had to go downstairs once to tell people to shut up, but I have never had a problem. If there is a worst time for that its when its warm outside."

“The noise is not an issue at all. I've never heard parties in the building or outside. The rooms are nice and secluded when you need your privacy," Stefania says.

Figure 34. & 35. Entrance to room and the bathroom, which is off to the left in the photo on the right.

Continuing on the list of great things, the rooms also rank high on Mieke's list.

“The space in my room has worked really well for me. I had to get my own furniture to begin with, so I got to do everything my way. I would have taken a single room if I could have, but I think I would have regretted not taking a corridor room later. I definitely recommend a corridor, I love my corridor," Mieke says. She has high praise for the communal spaces too.

“The kitchen space works well in general. But if there is one complaint, the evenings can get really crowded when everyone is cooking dinner, but that isn’t always the case. Fridge space is another issue of course. The social space with the living room is really good," Mieke describes the communal areas.

“Sometimes finding cutlery is hard, many people take them into their rooms. Otherwise my corridor is nice and clean, we have a good plan for that," Stefania tells about her corridor sharing experiences. "I like it because the corridor is a good mix of locals and others. The social life is really good."

Considering all of this, Delphi is probably the most effective bang for your buck. You get an affordable room in one of the most social places in Lund, yet you have your own space whenever you need it. You will end up saving a lot on food when shopping in the larger supermarkets near by. Most importantly, you will have a chance to meet a lot of cool people and really enjoy your time in this carnival known as Lund University.

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti